UMDNJ announced their intention last week to engage a “partner” to advise University Hospital on “operations and management matters.” A Request for Proposal (RFP) for Management Services was posted on the University’s Purchasing Services website late Friday afternoon.
Last summer, the Governor signed into law the New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act. Under the new law, all of UMDNJ's schools and units, except for the School of Osteopathic Medicine (SOM) and University Hospital, will be transferred to Rutgers University. SOM will be transferred to Rowan University and University Hospital will become a stand-alone, public hospital.
Our members successfully mobilized for numerous protections in the law, including:
- Protection of our public employee status, our collective bargaining rights, our current union and union contracts, our seniority, our pension and our health benefits.
- Protection against layoffs due to the reorganization until July of 2014.
- Protection for all current services at University Hospital and collaborative health services with Rutgers University.
- Oversight and transparency for any management contract at University Hospital.
- Protections from subcontracting and replacement of UH public employees by any management contract at University Hospital.
- Click here for a more detailed summary.
The law also establishes a University Hospital Community Oversight Board. HPAE will have the power to appoint one union representative. Teamsters Local 97 will also make an appointment. Before University Hospital can award the contract for management services, it must be reviewed by the Oversight Board. We continue to work with state legislators to ensure the Board is operational as soon as possible.
Our union researchers are currently reviewing the RFP and we expect to have a more detailed analysis later this week. We also encourage you to provide any information you may have about the reorganization through our Merger Watch website.
Elmer Daniels, President
HPAE Local 5089
Tom Murphy, Co-President
HPAE Local 5094, Newark Campus