Contact: Jeanne Otersen 201-262-5005 or 201-280-9279
December 6, 2013
Meadowlands Hospital Trial over Labor Law Violations to Start
What: The National Labor Relations Board trial over a complaint issued against MHA LLC (Meadowlands Hospital Medical Center) for labor law violations stemming from charges brought by the Health Professionals and Allied Employees (HPAE/AFT/AFL-CIO). The trial, before an Administrative Law Judge, will start on December 10 in Newark, and is expected to continue in early January.
When: 9:30am December 10, 11 and 12th
Where: National Labor Relations Board/Region 22 Offices
20 Washington Place 5th floor
Newark, NJ 07102
HPAE, NJ’s largest health care union, brought charges of unfair labor practices against MHA LLC, the owners of Meadowlands Hospital. HPAE represents 350 Registered Nurses, Techs and staff at the hospital, bought by MHA in December, 2010. The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) issued a finding of merit and filed a complaint against MHA LLC, leading to the trial.
Among the violations cited in the complaint are:
- Unlawful surveillance of union members and retaliatory threats for union activities;
- Unilateral changes of health care coverage and failure to pay medical claims and prescription drug claims;
- Refusal to make contributions to employees’ 401K plans;
- Failure to schedule meetings over grievances;
- Refusal to apply the collective bargaining agreement to nurse interns;
- Elimination of RN and Tech 12-hour shifts; and
- Unlawful layoffs of employees.