Bargaining Update for Rutgers University: July 14, 2022 and we still do not have a contract
HPAE local 5089 met on 7/14/22 for our sixth session of negotiations with Rutgers University. Our contract expired July 1, 2022.
It is now more important than ever to get involved and support your negotiations team. We need to you to collectively show Rutgers you stand behind our team. Click the link to sign the petition and show solidarity with your negotiations team.
The University provide responses to several proposals in the session on 7/14.
- Resignation – increase time off during resignation from 2 to 3 days. Our current proposal is for 5 days.
- Full time employee – We have been attempting to address the issue of payroll for our 12 hour employees. The University has proposed to move from our contract language of weekly hours to standard 35, 36, 37.5, and 40 hour employees. We see this as a move in the right direction. We will work on a counter proposal to present in our next session.
- Holidays – Rutgers has formally responded to include Juneteenth in the contract but has reject our proposal for Election day. The University also reject the reduction of call out times from 48 to 24 hours before or after the holiday. We plan to provide a counter proposal and put in an information request for call outs after they were not able to identify an issue with the current language.
- Holiday Pay – Updated holiday time with Juneteenth. The University reserved an official response but indicated possible movement to include UCHC for the holiday pay.
- Vacation scheduling – we had the most discussion around the limitation of 2 weeks worth of time for prime vacation periods. We argued if there is additional time available during prime periods, there should be no need for limitation of 2 weeks time off during this period of time.
We provided a counter proposal on the grievance procedure we received in our last session on June 30. We informed the University we supported our current contract language on the grievance process and there was no need to change the current language. We also reiterated that our contract language provides better benefits than Weingarten Laws and that department need to be accountable for any disciplines issued through the grievance process.
Our next virtual session is scheduled for July 22 at 1pm. We encourage everyone to attend the session for the first half hour to show the University we stand together in solidarity with the bargaining team and we will not accept falling behind on our Nurse Clinician and Staff Nurse experience scales. We are meeting as a caucus prior to the session at 12:30pm and are inviting all members in good standing to attend. The time commitment would be from 12:30-1:30pm. Please register for the pre-meeting at this link.
You should not be on work time during your attendance at the session. We are asking for a commitment of 1 hour to show Rutgers we stand behind our committee in solidarity. You can use either your personal or Rutgers device to log into the sessions.
HPAE 5089 Negotiations Committee – Sabrina Brown-Oliver, Jennifer Lerner, Josephine Machado, Dawn Yuhas, Khooshbu Patel, Arlene Cruz, Yuk Wong, Marilyn Mundy, Sri Kota, Joe Bentivegna, Marsha Lauriano, Lucia Otti, Francine Pasch, Tara Andino, Joan Santner, Donna Nelson-Henry, Susan Bauer