On a regular basis you will be receiving information to help you understand what we might face in the upcoming negotiations and the impact of those proposed changes on you, the membership. Also, the information you will be receiving is meant for you to discuss with your colleagues. The end result would be everyone is informed, have an opportunity to ask questions, and your negotiations team can ascertain what the memberships priorities are.
#1 Proposed Change – PTO (Paid Time Off)
What is PTO? PTO combines vacation, sick, and personal time into a single bank of days for employees to use when they take paid time off from work. Generally, the accumulated benefit time in a PTO bank is less than if there were separate banks of benefit time.
In this first notice, we will talk about what our current collective bargaining agreement offers us and what exists in HPAE Locals affiliated with Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH)
Currently- vacation accrual is based on years of service (6 mos. to 12 yrs).
- FT 8H shift = 19 days (152 hours) to 29 days (232 hours)
- PPT1 8H shift = 11.4 days (91.2 hours) to 17.4 days (139.2 hours)
- FT 12H shift = 18 days (156 hours) to 28 days (236 hours)
- PPT1 12H shift = 11.4 (93.6 hours) to 17.4 days (141.6 hours)
The maximum vacation accrual is 2 times the employees annual entitlement. For example, an FT 8H shift employee can hold 464 hours in their vacation bank.
- HPAE Locals with HMH, vacation accrual is based on years of service (0 to 20yrs)
- FT 8H shift = 20 days (160 hours) to 34 days (272 hours)
- PPT1 8H shift = 12 days (96 hours) to 20.4 days (163.2 hours)
- FT 12H shift = 12 days (144 hours) to 20.4 days (244.8 hours)*
- PPT 1 12H shifts = 8 days (96 hours) to 13.6 days (163.2 hours)
*FT 12H shifts do not work a fourth day.
The maximum vacation carry-over from one year to the next for FT 40H employees is 80 hours, FT 36H employees can carry over 72 hours, and PT1 24H employees can carry over 48 hours. Any excess hours are forfeited. Any denied vacation request, the Director (nurse manager) can request an exception which must be approved by the responsible VP and the Chief HR Officer.
The only time you can access paid sick time (ESL) is when you are on a paid leave of absence after the third (3) day. Therefore, any sick calls will be paid out from your vacation bank.
Alice Barden, President