The results are in! Members of HPAE Local 5089 unanimously voted to approve a tentative agreement regarding the fiscal emergency declared by management last spring. This is a strong step forward for our union!
Raises and Fiscal Emergency
- Our July 1, 2020, raises will be paid on July 1, 2021. The raise will not be retroactive.
- For 5089 on Scale B: 1.75% on July 1, 2021, and 1.25% on March 1, 2022.
- For APNs and Research Nurse Clinicians: 3% for July 2021 and 2.5% for March 2022.
- For Nurse Clinicians: 1.25% July 2021 and 1.25% for March 2022.
- In addition, for those negotiations unit employees entitled to a step movement as of July 1, 2020, the step will be deferred to July 1, 2021.
- In addition, the step movement scheduled for Fiscal Year 2022 (July 2021) shall occur on July 1, 2021.
- All negotiations unit employees on an experience-based step shall be placed on the correct step on July 1, 2021.
- The University agrees that there will be no layoffs through January 1, 2022, except for those due to termination/cessation of grants that fund employees
- We will participate in a shared work program for 10 consecutive weeks between now and July 31, 2021, except where it is not feasible. Participating employees will be furloughed 1 day per week and are eligible for enhanced partial unemployment. (Those on a visa status or paid leave will not be required to participate. Employees previously laid off for at least 10 days on or after June 1, 2020 shall not be required to participate). Many of the implementation details are still in discussion. We will provide more information as we have it.
We have also negotiated an optional lower cost health care plan – check your email in coming weeks for more details. HPAE members, along with other Rutgers Unions, have negotiated an optional health plan for members, which offers a real cost savings. You can choose to switch to the optional new plan during a special open enrollment period, which runs from May 3-May 14, 2021. The plan is effective July 1, 2021. Participants in the new plan will no longer pay rates based on a percent of premium, and instead will pay a percent of salary. Members switching can save up to $1,500 in payroll deductions. (If you want to stay in your current plan, then there is nothing for you to do during this special open enrollment!)
We will hold joint information sessions with the State’s Division of Pensions and Benefits and Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield on the following dates:
- Monday, May 3: 2p-4p
- Wednesday, May 5: 10a-12p
- Tuesday, May 11: 2p-4p
- Thursday, May 13: 10a-12p
Dr. Sabrina Brown-Oliver, Vice President, HPAE Local 5089