Bargaining Update for Rutgers University:
HPAE local 5089 met on 5/17/22 for our second session of negotiations with Rutgers University.
Earlier last week the University attempted to propose a one-year contract extension to the Coalition of Rutgers Unions. We attempted to negotiate that extension seven months ago in November, but the University did not respond to our counter proposals until last week. We informed them as a coalition that their proposal was unacceptable, and we were not interested in a one-year extension less than two months until the expiration of the contract.
We presented Rutgers with a full package of proposals. A summary of the package is below:
- Wages:5% each year, automatic step movements going forward, COLA increase if inflation continues
- DOC/JJC: Elimination of differential carve outs currently in contract
- Staffing Committee: Joint advisory counsel to address staffing concerns
- Continuation of CINJ MOAs with expansion to whole bargaining unit: Increased differential rates
- Tuition remission/refund: two tier option for Rutgers school remission and non-Rutgers reimbursement
- Seniority/Layoff Rights: expanded recall period, expanded notice, increased access to vacant positions
- Holiday schedule: Add Juneteenth and Election day
- Parking: Delete entire section
- Expanding our negotiations unit: Including APN, Nurse Clinician, and Research Nurse Clinician Per diem employees
- Grievance Process: Timely hearings or University withdraws disciplines
- Vision care: Increased benefits and expanded to dependents
We reserved several proposals at this time. We informed Rutgers we would be presenting new language for APN Provider of the day, Research Nurse Clinician/Nurse Clinician wages, Mandatory Overtime, and Clinical Ladder. In addition, we also stated that we will be participating in coalition bargaining with the other Rutgers unions to address: Health and Safety, Telecommuting, Health Insurance, and Job Security.
The University asked some questions about proposals as we reviewed them but did not respond to any proposal during the session. Despite having an hour left in our bargaining session, Rutgers did not return to negotiations during the rest of the session. We are 44 days from our contract expiration and the University still has not provided responses to our information request nor provided dates to return to the table.
We will continue to push for dates to continue bargaining with the University.
Never miss a bargaining update! Opt in for HPAE Updates www.hpae.org/contact-us
HPAE 5089 Negotiations Committee – Sabrina Brown-Oliver, Jennifer Lerner, Josephine Machado, Dawn Yuhas, Khooshbu Patel, Arlene Cruz, Yuk Wong, Marilyn Mundy, Sri Kota, Joe Bentivegna, Marsha Lauriano, Lucia Otti, Francine Pasch, Tara Andino, Joan Santner, Donna Nelson-Henry, Susan Bauer