The Labor-Management Committee (LMC) is a monthly meeting where your Union officers bring your concerns to management.
Some Updates from the October LMC Meeting:
- Insurance – Thanks to your pressure, BMC has contracted a new insurance broker. Management will make a proposal to our union in November/December, and we will have the opportunity to bargain over any change. If you have any input on insurance, reach ou to your Union reps/officers
- Safety – BMC has won a grant to fund extra security cameras and metal detectors. Management will now also be introducing more safety training.
- CNA/PCP Staffing – To handle the increase of 1:1 cases, management will be increasing the number of sitters. If you are interested in being trained as a sitter, reach out to your supervisor.
- LPNs – We are continuing to discuss rules for LPN Safety.
- Per-Diems – Management has notified us that they are focusing on hiring FT/PT/HT positions. This could lead to a reduction in available hours for Per-Diems. Current Per-Diems have first pick for open positions and are encouraged to apply to FT/PT/HT positions. Check the bulletin board for postings.
- Unsafe Staffing Forms – Unsafe Staffing Forms are NOT just for Nurses. Anyone can and should be filling them out in any situation you are working short or feel unsafe. Not only does it help protect you from liability, but it also helps us build a stronger case for better staffing across the board. Forms should be addressed to Management. One copy should be given to your manager, and one should be placed in the Union box in the Cafeteria.
- Negotiations – Full Contract Negotiations are set to begin Mid-February. More updates to follow.
- Fighting for a Raise – Union members spoke strongly about the serious staffing crisis and the need for a raise NOW. if you would like to speak at the next Labor-Management meeting about why we need a raise, contact your union rep/officer.
HPAE-AFT is the largest union of health care professionals in New Jersey. HPAE members include nurses, social workers, therapists, technicians, medical researchers and other healthcare professionals. We work in hospitals, nursing homes, home care agencies, blood banks and university research facilities.
Union Meeting: The next Union Meeting will be November 14th at VFW Post 19, with sessions at 08:00, 11:00, 14:00, 18:00, and 19:00.
Fighting for Safe Staffing: Our Union is pushing the State Legislature to pass the NJ Safe Staffing Bill. Share you short staffing story here so we can tell Legislators why we need this bill passed now!
Preventing Aerosol-Transmissible Diseases in Healthcare Settings Training: Sign up here.
Stay in Touch: If you or someone you know isn’t getting union texts and/or emails, reply to this message and you will be added to the list.
Your Local Union Leadership:
President: Christine Crimaldi – 2R
Vice President (Service): Danielle Hallenbeck – 2R
Vice President (Techs & B.O.C.): Marisol Mateo – OR
Vice President (RNs & Professionals): Joan Zitzman – ICU
Secretary: Mary Ramos – PACU
Treasurer: Sue Sienkiewicz – Respiratory
Grievance Chair: Nanette Rivera – Physical Therapy
Your union benefits:
Questions / Concerns may be sent to BSILVA@HPAE.ORG