In response to more and more New Jersey hospitals becoming members of large health systems, HPAE created Merger Monitor to keep New Jersey patients, healthcare workers, politicians, journalists, unions, and concerned organizations informed about the process and demand accountability from those who make the decisions finalizing health care mergers.
Through Merger Monitor our goal is to oversee the transactions from beginning to end, through all the legal processes: Community Health Care Assets Protection Act (CHAPA); Certificate of Need (CN); Federal Trade Commission (FTC); and any other legal wrangling and deal-making.
There are positives and negatives with every merger and the process is complicated, requiring oversight by the NJ Department of Health and the NJ Attorney General’s office. Our goal is to help people served by these health systems to demand accountability in a process that not only affects your community but will have reverberations throughout the larger community, the state of New Jersey.
HPAE has compiled information on the various mergers occurring or that have occurred recently around the state – this is serious business when the mergers involve as much as $4.5 billion in operating revenue annually (the Barnabas and Robert Wood Johnson merger) – giving you the background for each proposed merger and tools to get more information about the merger in your community.
Under Resources you will find a link to the New Jersey Open Records Act Request Form that allows anyone to request any of the CHAPA documents (through the NJ Attorney General’s office) or CN documents (through the NJ Department of Health’s Certificate of Need and Licensing office).
Merger Monitor Events
May 11th Rally for Safe StaffingEvent Details
AFT Student Debt Clinic - September 29Event Details
AFT Student Debt Clinic - September 22Event Details
AFT Student Debt Clinic - September 15Event Details
AFT Student Debt Clinic - September 8Event Details
AFT Student Debt Clinic - September 1Event Details
AFT Student Debt Clinic - August 25Event Details
HPAE COVID-19 Telephone Town HallEvent Details
CDC COCA Webinar: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Update—Information for Clinicians Caring for Children and Pregnant WomenEvent Details
HPAE 2019 Professional Issues Conference: Bringing Our Professional Values into the Transformation of Health CareEvent Details
HPAE Convention 2018Event Details
Public Town Hall Meeting - Protect Public Healthcare for Newark Residents!Event Details
HPAE Education Day- Domestic Violence 101Event Details
Insights On Batterer Behavior: Comprehensive Class About Abusers in Intimate Partner RelationshipsEvent Details
HPAE Education Days - March 6 & March 8Event Details
Public hearing on the merger of JFK Health System with Hackensack Meridian HealthEvent Details
HPAE Professional Issues Conference (PIC)Event Details
AFT Professional Issues Conference (PIC)Event Details
HPAE Education Day - South JerseyEvent Details
HPAE Education Day - North JerseyEvent Details
HPAE 2017 Lobby Day in TrentonEvent Details
HPAE Convention - October 6 & 7Event Details
HPAE CINJ Membership MeetingEvent Details
- Impact of Hospital Mergers
- Merger Laws and Regulations
- Merger Glossary
- New Jersey Open Records Act Request Form
- Cooper University Health and Cape Regional Health Merger
- Capital Health System and Trinity Health Saint Francis Medical Center Merger
- Salem Medical Center and Inspira Health Network Merger
- Prospect East Orange General Hospital May Be Purchased By EOH Acquisition Group, LLC
- CentraState Health System and Atlantic Health System Merger
- Einstein Healthcare Network and Jefferson University Hospitals Merger
- Trinitas Health/Trinitas Regional Medical Center and RWJBarnabas Health Merger
- St. Peter’s Healthcare System and RWJBarnabas Health Merger
- Englewood Health and Hackensack Meridian Health Merger
- Virtua Health System and Lourdes (Trinity Health) Hospitals Merger
- Carrier Clinic And Hackensack Meridian Health Merger
- Community Healthcare Associates' Purchase of Memorial Hospital of Salem County
- JFK Health System And Hackensack Meridian Health Merger
- Cooper Health System And Trinity Health Hospitals Merger
- Meadowlands Hospital Medical Center Bought By Real Estate Developer Yan Moshe
- Thomas Jefferson University-Kennedy Health System Merger
- Hackensack University Health Network and Meridian Health Merger
- Saint Michael's Medical Center Bought by Prime Healthcare Services, Inc.
- East Orange Hospital Bought by Prospect Medical Holdings
- Robert Wood Johnson Health Care Corporation and Barnabas Health, Inc.
- RWJ Barnabas Health and Rutgers Proposed Partnership
- Palisades Medical Center and Hackensack University Health Network Merger
- Raritan Bay Medical Centers and Meridian Health Merger
- Hackettstown Regional Medical Center Bought by Atlantic Health System, Inc.